The Blue Mill Tavern Loosemeat SandwchFrom nativeprincess 4 years ago
- 1 lb ground beef round or ground sirloin or good ground chuck (Of course I use ground turkey) shopping list
- 2 tbsp shortening (recipe calls for lard or shortening, I have never used lard in my life!)( Do not use oil!) shopping list
- 2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped fine shopping list
- 1 tbsp prepared yellow mustard (do not substitute) shopping list
- 1 tbsp vinegar shopping list
- 1 tbsp sugar shopping list
- water to cover shopping list
- salt & pepper to taste shopping list
- hamburger buns shopping list
- dill pickle slices shopping list
How to make it
- Melt fat over medium heat and lightly salt bottom of a cast iron skillet (if you have one)
- Break up ground meat in skillet and start crumbling it with the back of a wooden spoon==this is important, the meat must be in small crumbles.
- Add chopped onion to skillet with meat..
- Keep working to break up the meat.
- When meat is cooked, drain any fat and return meat to skillet.
- Add mustard, vinegar, sugar and just enough water to barely cover the meat in the skillet,
- Simmer until water is gone, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat your hamburger buns, (they are traditionally steamed for loosemeats) you can toast the bread if you like.
- When buns are warm, put some yellow mustard on them and add some dill pickle slices.
People Who Like This Dish 21
The Cooknativeprincess Magalia, CA
The Rating2 people
I've made this before and it is really good! Remember the show Rosanne? Well, she and hubby and sis were opening that diner, and loose meat sandwiches was going to be their signature dish. That's when I started looking for recipes for it and came ...moremaureenlaw in ST LOUIS loved it
I really enjoyed these Marie. Thx! Lots of flavour it makes for a great comfort food meal. Full review on IMI.chuckieb in Ottawa loved it