Patatas Y Espinacas A La Importancia (spinach And Potatoes)From keni 3 years ago
- 3 large russet potatoes, sliced about 1/4-1/2 in (I didn't bother peeling) shopping list
- about 1/2 cup plus 2T corn starch shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1t Latin Inspired Spice Mix , or similar spice mixture shopping list
- 3T olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/2-2t red pepper flakes shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- pinch of saffron(optional) shopping list
- 10oz fresh baby spinach shopping list
- 1/2 cup half and half or cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup pine nuts shopping list
- 1/4 cup dried fruit of choice(suggest: cranberries, dates, apricots or cherries) shopping list
- peanut or canola oil for frying, heated to about 360-365 shopping list
How to make it
- In large saute pan or similar(I used cast iron), saute onions, pepper flakes and garlic over medium/low heat until just translucent.
- Add 2T corn starch and stir to coat with oil.
- Add stock, bring to boil, stirring occasionally, then, add saffron threads, if using, and reduce heat and let simmer while frying the potatoes. See Photo
- Meanwhile, mix Latin seasoning with remaining corn starch in a pie plate or similar.
- In another pie plate, beat eggs.
- Dredge potato rounds in egg, then corn starch mixture, lightly, and immediately fry, a few at a time. Turn once and cook until tender. This should only take about 3 minutes, total. See Photo
- Drain on paper towels or a paper bag or newspaper, and continue until potatoes are all fried, making sure oil remains a fairly constant temp.
- When done, add potatoes and spinach to stock mixture and carefully stir so that spinach gets a chance to wilt. See Photo
- Let cook about 3 minutes, then add pine nuts, fruit, half and half and salt and pepper. Heat through and serve! See Photo
- **served with this: Chile Mustard Chicken