Chicken & Herb Orzo Soup With VeggiesFrom icecreamuffin 5 years ago
- 1 cup dry orzo shopping list
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts shopping list
- chicken rub: dried oregano, dried thyme, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, ground black pepper, salt shopping list
- 8 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 1 cup red wine (I used old vine zinfandel), divided into 1/2 cups shopping list
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 1 large yellow onion, diced shopping list
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced shopping list
- 1/2 cup celery, diced shopping list
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 3 ripe roma tomatoes, diced shopping list
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil shopping list
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley shopping list
How to make it
- Cover the bottom of a dutch oven with olive oil and heat on medium high.
- Rub the chicken with seasonings, add to pot. Brown well on both sides until just underdone, about 10 minutes. Add 1/2 of the red wine to the pot; let it cook off for a minute. Remove the chicken and let it rest on a plate for at least 10 minutes, then shred with your hands.
- Once the chicken is removed, add a splash of olive oil and the onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, and garlic; cook about 8 minutes, or until veggies become translucent. Deglaze with the rest of the red wine. Add the tomatoes, basil, and tomato paste.
- Once the tomatoes begin to reduce, stir in the orzo and let it soak up the flavors for a minute. Then stir in the chicken broth. Bring it up to a simmer, then turn the heat to low and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the orzo is al dente. Add the chicken back in and cook about 5 minutes, or until it is done. Stir in the parsley right before serving...serve hot with crackers or crusty bread!