Pesto Margherita PizzaFrom icecreamuffin 3 years ago
for the dough
- 1 package active dry yeast shopping list
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sugar) shopping list
- 1 cup warm water shopping list
- 1 Tbsp sea salt shopping list
- extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1 cup whole wheat flour shopping list
- 2 cups bread flour shopping list
for the pesto
- about 1 cup chopped fresh basil shopping list
- 1 cup shredded or shaved parmesan shopping list
- 1/2 cup pine nuts shopping list
- 3-4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped shopping list
- salt & black pepper, to taste shopping list
- about 1/2 cup olive oil shopping list
- 1 large handful sweet grape tomatoes, halved long-ways shopping list
- about 12 1/2 inch thick slices fresh mozzarella shopping list
- shredded or shaved parmesan (as much as you want!) shopping list
How to make it
for the dough
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast, honey, and warm water. Let stand until the yeast becomes foamy, about 5 minutes. Add in the salt and 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the whole wheat and bread flours. Add the flour mixture to the large bowl, a bit at a time, working it in with your hands (your could use a stand mixer for this). If the dough seems dry, add more water (only 1 Tbsp at a time); if it seems too sticky, add more flour (only 1 Tbsp at a time). You want your dough to be smooth and elastic.
- Once the dough comes together, knead it on a floured surface for a minute, then form it into a ball. Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit!
- The dough will have doubled in size; punch it down and turn it out onto a floured surface. Stretch the dough out into a long cylinder and cut it into 3 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for another 10 minutes (it will be easier to work with).
- Roll one piece of dough out on a floured surface into a circle; the thinner you roll it out, the crispier the pizza crust will be (about 1/8 thick is good).
for the pesto
- Pulse the basil, pine nuts, garlic, & parm in a food processor until it starts to form a paste. Add in the olive oil, a bit at a time, until you get a smooth, but still thick consistency (it should still stick to a spoon). Season with salt and pepper, to taste...if you're a cheese fanatic like me, you may even add more parm ;)
- Spread the pesto in an even layer over the rolled out dough. Layer the mozzarella and tomatoes any way you like, topping it off with some parm. Fold over the edges of the dough and brush with olive oil. Bake on a pizza stone or baking sheet for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and the crust is golden!
The Cookicecreamuffin Abilene, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!