Jalapeno Black Bean Burgers on Whole Wheat BunsFrom luisascatering 5 years ago
- Whole Wheat buns (sub half the flour in below recipe with whole wheat pastry flour): shopping list
- buns.html">Homemade Hamburgerhotdog buns shopping list
- black bean Patties: shopping list
- 3 tbsp olive or canola oil, divided shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, membranes and seeds removed, chopped shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 1 tsp chili powder shopping list
- 1 (15 oz.) can organic black beans, drained and rinsed shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups cooked brown rice shopping list
- for breadcrumbs: 1/2 of one whole wheat bun, toasted shopping list
- fresh lime juice, to taste shopping list
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro shopping list
- Toppings: shopping list
- organic monterey jack cheese, avocado, shaved red onion (rinsed), iceberg lettuce leaves, mayo shopping list
How to make it
- For the patties: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse bread to form breadcrumbs. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft. Add garlic, jalapeno, and spices. Saute for additional 2 minutes.
- Scrape the mixture into the food processor. Add black beans, brown rice, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Pulse until the beans are chopped, but not pureed.
- Scrape the black bean mixture into a large bowl. Add some of the breadcrumbs and the chopped cilantro. Stir the mixture until combined. If the mixture is too moist to form patties, add more breadcrumbs.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and form into patties. Place the patties on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap and cover with additional plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet (preferably not nonstick, so a good crust can form) set over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook for 4 minutes per side. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 4 patties.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with above suggested toppings.