Asian-inspired Grilled Chicken & Stir-fryFrom DetroitTokyo 3 years ago
- 1 cup mayonnaise (the real stuff) shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 1 tsp tomato paste shopping list
- 1 tbsp melted Earth Balance (or butter/margarine) shopping list
- 1 tsp sugar shopping list
- 1/2 tsp paprika shopping list
- 1 tsp Sriracha - or to your tastes shopping list
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce shopping list
- 1/3 cup water shopping list
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil shopping list
- 2 tbsl lemon juice shopping list
- 1 tbsp red wine/rice wine vinegar shopping list
- 1 tbsp honey shopping list
- 1 tbsp mustard shopping list
- 1-2 tsp liquid smoke shopping list
- crushed red pepper, to taste shopping list
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, filleted shopping list
- 2 medium carrots, peeled & sliced into chunks shopping list
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into florets (about 2 cups) and chunks of stalk shopping list
- 2 cups diced zucchini shopping list
- 2 cups snow pea pods shopping list
- 8 oz. button mushrooms, quartered shopping list
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 tsp sesame oil shopping list
- 1/4 cup water + 1-2 tsp cornstarch to make a slurry shopping list
- (second portion of marinade) shopping list
How to make it
- Start by making the sauce the night before you're planning to prepare this meal so the flavors can marry together. The sauce is meant for dipping the chicken into but it tastes really good with the rice & veggies too.
- Combine all ingredients. Mix well to incorporate. Chill in refrigerator in an air-tight container until ready to use.
- In a small, non-reactive mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, water, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, honey, mustard, liquid smoke and red pepper. Whisk to incorporate. Divide into two portions.
- Place chicken in a sealable plastic bag. Pour one portion of marinade over. Let out most of the air, seal, and refrigerate. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes - 4 hours. Let rest on counter for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat grill on high. Place chicken breasts on grill and cover. Reserve marinade. Cook for 5 minutes. Baste with marinade. Turn & cook for 5 minutes. Baste, turn and cook 2 minutes. Again, baste and turn, cook for another 2 minutes. Check for doneness.
- Add vegetable and sesame oils to a large skillet. Heat over medium-high. Add carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add broccoli and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes. Add zucchini, pea pods, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Take second portion of the soy sauce marinade mixture and pour into skillet over veggies. Allow to simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add cornstarch slurry, stirring, until sauce has thickened up. Remove from heat.
- I served this with Basmati rice drizzled with a bit of toasted sesame oil and a sprinkling of Gomasio (sesame seeds, sea salt, seaweed).