My New Favorite Macaroni And CheeseFrom sosousme 1 year ago
- 1 pound elbow macaroni (in this case, I used quinoa macaroni, but any will do) cook for 2 minutes LESS than the package directions (you want to have a really al dente macaroni as it will cook more in the oven) shopping list
- 4 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 3 tablespoons flour (less flour makes for a looser roux) shopping list
- 2 cups milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard shopping list
- salt and pepper, to taste shopping list
- 1 pound grated cheese (I used white cheddar, but use what you like. A combo of cheddar and Jarlsburg, or Swiss, or gruyere ... shopping list
- 1/2 cup sour cream (low-fat OK non-fat is not) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup panko shopping list
How to make it
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cook pasta less 2 minutes from package direction, drain and pour into the casserole dish.
- While pasta cooks, heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat; add the flour and cook, stirring for about 3 minutes or until you have a light brown roux. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly until the roux begins to thicken. Add the mustard, and a bit of salt and pepper.
- While continuing to stir, slowly add the cheese (it helps if you grate the cheese in advance and let it sit at room temperature for about an hour); once the cheese is melted, stir in the sour cream. Mix well, then pour over the macaroni (it will seems very soupy, no worries, it will all work out).
- In a sauté pan, melt the remaining butter and add the panko, stir and sauté until panko is lightly browned. Spoon panko over the top of the mac n cheese and put in the oven for about 30 - 35 minutes, or until bubbly. Let sit 5 minutes and serve.
- Per Serving: Calories yes, Fat, also yes, Carbohydrates, uh huh, Deliciousness? You betcha! LindySez ~ Enjoy