Sourdough MeltFrom keni 1 year ago
- 2lbs ground chuck or better shopping list
- 8 slices cheddar cheese shopping list
- 8 slices provolone cheese shopping list
- 1 large onion, sliced thin(or 2 medium ones :) shopping list
- 12 slices sourdough bread(a large "baguette" style would be nice, if it's a loaf, you might need to trim the slices a bit to fit the burger shopping list
- butter, softened shopping list
- kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper shopping list
For Special Sauce
- 1/3 cup Thousand Island dressing shopping list
- 2T chili sauce shopping list
- 1/2-2t Sriracha sauce shopping list
How to make it
- Mix all ingredients together well and set aside
- Form 6 1/3lb patties out of the ground beef
- Grill, broil or otherwise cook burgers to about medium, set aside
- Grill or saute onions in butter until just beginning to turn golden, adding a bit of fresh ground pepper towards the end of cooking.(you can fully caramelize these, if you'd like, but the sauce is rather sweet, and we didn't want the onions that sweet :),set aside
- Butter one side of each slice of the bread.
- Melt butter in a skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Add a slice of bread, butter side down and immediately top with a piece of provolone, add a layer of the cooked onions, a beef patty, and finally a slice of cheddar cheese.
- On the "mate" piece of bread for each sammich, spread a generous amount of the sauce over the non butter side and place it, sauce side down, onto the grilling sammich.
- Grill as you would a grilled cheese, turning once, until golden brown and cheeses are melty.
- Continue with remaining sammiches, making sure to keep the already cooked ones warm.
- Serve immediately :-)