Rustic Baked EggsFrom keni 3 years ago
- 1 dozen eggs shopping list
- 2lbs fresh baby spinach, roughly torn shopping list
- 1lb ground breakfast sausage shopping list
- 1lb fresh baby bella mushrooms, chopped shopping list
- 1 large onion, diced shopping list
- olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter shopping list
- red pepper flakes(optional) shopping list
- about 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan, Romano or asiago cheese shopping list
- kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper shopping list
- hot sauce(optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In large dutch oven or similar heavy pan, drizzle a lil olive oil and cook the sausage.
- Add butter, onion and mushrooms about half way through and continue to cook until sausage is done and onions are tender.
- Add spinach and red pepper flakes(if using), salt and pepper and cook, tossing often, for just a couple minutes to slightly wilt the spinach.
- With cooking tongs or a slotted spoon, spoon mixture into individual serving vessels, or a 9X13 glass dish.
- Make indentations in the mixture for each egg and carefully crack an egg into each.See photos for examples. You can add 1 or 2 per serving, or, you can just make 12 in a casserole dish. :) (I didn't do that, so no photo)
- Sprinkle with cheese
- Bake in a 425-450 oven for 7-12 minutes until whites are set but yolks are still runny.
- If you see the yolks are to your desired consistency but the whites are slightly runny, try removing from the oven and covering with aluminum foil for a few minutes. It just takes practice to get the egg perfect. :)
- Add fresh ground pepper and or hot sauce to serve, if desired.