Moms Apple PieFrom recipediva 8 years ago
- Crust: shopping list
- 2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 3/4 cup shortening (recommended:Crisco) shopping list
- ice water (1 Tablespoon for moistening, then add 6-8 more) shopping list
- Filling, recipe follows shopping list
- Serving suggestion: warm with vanilla ice-cream shopping list
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium-mixing bowl cut the shortening and salt into the flour by hand or with a pastry blender hands until it's the texture of cornmeal.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of ice water over the mixture and mix just until the dough is moistened.
- Repeat by adding 6 to 8 tablespoons water (one at a time) until all the dough is just moist.
- Take care not to over mix.
- Divide the dough in half and roll into a ball.
- Roll 1 ball into a circle to fit a 9 to 10-inch pie plate.
- To transfer the pastry to the pie plate, wrap it around a rolling pin and ease it into the pie plate.
- Be careful not to stretch the pastry.
- Trim it even with the edges of the pie plate.
- Add the apple filling into the pastry lined pie plate.
- Make sure they are laying flat.
- Cut butter into small pieces and put on top of the filling.
- Roll the remaining pastry into a 12-inch circle.
- Place on top of the filling.
- Trim off 1-inch beyond the edge of the pie plate.
- Crimp the edges as desired.
- Cut slits to allow steam to escape when baking.
- Sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon over the pie.
- Cover the edges with foil to prevent over browning.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until it is golden brown. (sometimes I leave the foil on the entire time).
- Check for how you like your apples done inside.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 to 7 cups apples cut into thin slices (recommended: Green Golden and Jonathans BUT, I always use Granny Smiths)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use more like 4)
- In a medium bowl combine the apples, with the brown and white sugar. Add flour, cinnamon and continue mixing until they are well coated. I make the filling up first let it get saucey. I often add lemon juice. Keeps it from browning and I like my apple on the tart side. Trust me I am generous with my lemon juice.
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
The Cookrecipediva Pittsburgh, PA
The Rating3 people
This looks good! Thanks for sharing.organicmama in loved it
I've given your recipe a "5" fork rating. I absolutely love it! Thank you for sharing with all of us foodies. Cheers!!!lor in Toronto loved it
The apple pie recipe i alays liked since my childhood.Great description.Also the filling is so delicious except that i would add 6 tbsp butter and 2 tsp cinnamon.By the way the baby's picture is so cute as i just got a new born (6 weeks old )baby.ahmed1 in Cairo loved it