French Onion Soup 1From shirleyoma 9 years ago
- French onion soup shopping list
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter shopping list
- 4 onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs shopping list
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup red wine shopping list
- 3 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 quarts beef broth shopping list
- 1 baguette, sliced shopping list
- 1/2 pound grated gruyere shopping list
How to make it
- Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and salt and pepper and cook until the onions are very soft and caramelized, about 25 minutes. Add the wine, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are dry, about 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Dust the onions with the flour and give them a stir. Turn the heat down to medium low so the flour doesn't burn, and cook for 10 minutes to cook out the raw flour taste. Now add the beef broth, bring the soup back to a simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- When you're ready to eat, preheat the broiler. Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Sprinkle the slices with the Gruyere and broil until bubbly and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup in bowls and float several of the Gruyere croutons on top.
- Alternative method: Ladle the soup into bowls, top each with 2 slices of bread and top with cheese. Put the bowls into the oven to toast the bread and melt the cheese.
The Cookshirleyoma Cove, OR
The Rating7 people
Sounds good, love French Onion soup, I'll make this when the weather here cools off some.henrie in Savannah loved it
NICE POST - THANKS FOR SHARING - LEEBEARleebear in Brookpark loved it
Made this last night. So good! Five Stars! Used white wine instead of red.storen08 in Elgin loved it