Jalapeno Sweet Potato SoupFrom rosemaryblue 8 years ago
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped shopping list
- 1 medium onion, chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced shopping list
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed shopping list
- 8 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, chopped shopping list
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno juice shopping list
- 1 teaspoon comino shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In large pot, saute bacon and onion in butter until just tender. Add garlic and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, chicken broth, pickled jalapenos, jalapeno juice and comino. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- When done, add soda, cilantro and milk. Coarsely mash potatoes with a potato masher.
- Stir well and taste for salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- May add more chopped jalapenos
- May garnish with sour cream or coursely chopped toasted pecans.