New England Clam ChowderFrom leigh561 7 years ago
- 1/2 lb onion, diced shopping list
- 1/2 lb celery, diced shopping list
- 12 oz red potatoes, large diced shopping list
- 2 cans chopped clams and juice shopping list
- 32 oz half & half shopping list
- 32 oz clam juice shopping list
- 1 tsp thyme shopping list
- 1/2 tsp basil shopping list
- To Taste - white pepper shopping list
- 4 drops Tabasco shopping list
- 1 oz bacon grease (or oil) shopping list
- 1/2 lb roux shopping list
- Roux: shopping list
- 1/4 lb butter shopping list
- 1/4 lb flour shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter, blend in flour to make roux.
- In a 2 gallon stockpot, cook onion and celery in bacon grease until translucent.
- Pour in chopped clams in juice, clam juice, diced potato and seasoning; blend well.
- Bring to simmer over medium heat, for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Add half & half, increase heat until it comes to a slow boil.
- Add roux slowly, mixing well. Keep mixing until well incorporated.
- Reduce heat - simmer for 15 minutes.
The Cookleigh561 Orlando, FL
The Rating1 people
Leigh, this sounds fantastic, I love the cream base and using bacon grease! Yumm I want to make this one soon with sourdough french bread! I save my bacon grease for fried potatoes etc.. now this!shirleyoma in Cove loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!