Classic French Onion SoupFrom noir 6 years ago
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 pounds (2 or 3 large) yellow onions, sliced ¼" thick shopping list
- 1 ½ teaspoons granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour shopping list
- ¾ cup dry red wine shopping list
- 3 ½ cups Homemade beef or veal stock shopping list
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 small baguette, sliced into ½-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 ½ cups grated regular Gruyère shopping list
- 1 ½ cups grated smoked Gruyère shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven on medium - medium-low heat.
- Add onions, spreading them out in as thin a layer as possible.
- Sprinkle with sugar, and cook, stirring just as needed to keep onions from sticking, until they are soft, golden brown, and just starting to caramelize - about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle flour over onions, and stir to coat.
- Cook flour for about 5 minutes. Add wine, stock, and thyme, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, to allow the flavors to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast at least 8 slices of bread under a broiler or in the toaster and set aside.
- Ladle hot soup into four ovenproof bowls and arrange on a sturdy baking sheet.
- Place 2 -3 slices (depending on size) of toasted bread over each bowl of soup.
- Mix together the two grated cheeses and sprinkle ¾ cup over bread in each bowl.
- Place soup bowls under the broiler until cheese is melted and crusty brown around the edges.
- Watch carefully that bread doesn’t burn.
- Serve immediately.
- I find this soup to be both rustic and elegant...easy to make and delicious to indulge in.
The Cooknoir Boston, MA
The Rating5 people
Tops...Tops...Tops! *smile* I think I will wisk myself to France now!pink in USA loved it
This is great!smooch in America loved it
My hubby and I were talking about how some FO soup would be so good!! Glad I found this.jett2whit in Union City loved it
Comfort Foods769 members
Back To Basics345 members
Soup Is Good Food562 members
Everyday Chefs68 members
Just Love To Cook48 members
Family Favourites134 members
All Holidays135 members
Anything Goes286 members
Ethnic Family Traditions Our Heritage Together133 members