Garlic and Rum Pork RoastFrom zena824 7 years ago
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) fresh pork shoulder, trimmed of any excess fat , boned and tied. shopping list
- 6 large garlic cloves shopping list
- 2 small white onions, coarsely chopped shopping list
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped (1/2 cup loosely packed) shopping list
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 cup dark rum shopping list
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice shopping list
- 1/4 cup olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Put the garlic, onions, parsley, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon pepper, rum, sugar, and lime juice in a food processor fitted with a steel blade; process until finely chopped, then drizzle in the oil, plusing just to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl.
- Put the pork in a large bowl or on a platter big enough to hold it with the marinade.
- Vigorously rub the pork with the marinade, cover, and let marinate in the refirgerator for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the pork on a rack in a large, heavy bottomed roasting pan.
- Pour 1 cup water into the bottom of the pan to catch drippings.
- Put the pan in the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- Lower the oven temp to 350 degrees and continue roasting until an instant read thermometer inserted to the thickest part of the pork reads 155 degrees, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- As it cooks, baste the pork with any marinade remaining in the bowl.
- Remove the pan from the oven, transfer the pork to a cutting board and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Carve the pork into 1/4 inch thick slices, removing the string as you do.
- If desired, pour the pan drippings into a measuring cup and degrease using a basting bulb.
- Spoon the sauce over the sliced pork.