Spanish Lentil SoupFrom inmaculada 9 years ago
- 2 cups brown lentils shopping list
- 5 cups water shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 whole garlic head, unpeeled shopping list
- 1 whole onion shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 1 tomato, diced shopping list
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, diced in chunks shopping list
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced shopping list
- 2 Tbsp bouillon (vegetal or beef) shopping list
- 2 Tbsp vinegar shopping list
- ½ tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 2 tsp salt shopping list
- Sofrito: shopping list
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (Spanish if possible) shopping list
- 1 onion, diced shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, diced shopping list
- 1 Tbsp smoked hot paprika* shopping list
- 1 Tbsp smoked sweet paprika* shopping list
How to make it
- Wash lentils in cold running water and place in a casserole. Add cold water and the rest of ingredients. Take it to a boil and let it simmer on low heat for 30-40 minutes, depending on lentils.
- While lentils are cooking make the sofrito: heat the 4 Tbsp oil in a shallow pan, add onion and cloves and cook until translucent. Add paprikas and quickly stir, on very low heat as it burns easily. Turn heat off and set aside.
- When lentils are cooked and tender but still firm, take onion and garlic head out and discard.
- Add paprika mixture to the casserole, mix thoroughly and let it cook 10 more minutes. Let it rest for 1 hour and when ready to serve sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley.
- * Paprika, in Spain called Pimentón Dulce (sweet) or Pimentón Picante (hot), gives the dish its characteristic flavour and is well known as being the main ingredient, along with ground pork meat and other spices, of famous Spanish Chorizo. It is mainly produced in the province of Caceres, region of La Vera, in the mid-west side of Spain.
The Cookinmaculada Palma De Mallorca, ES
The Rating5 people
Wonderful Thank you..saved and will be gobled up soon. ^5 Joymariemystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
This looks delicious - I love lentils and they are good for me too. I love the flavour of smoked paprika too, so I will save this recipe for when the weather gets colder. (It's very warm here just now!)
Nellie (Susan)sitbynellie in Glasgow loved it