Fast and Easy Camping Chicken And DumplingsFrom julesong 9 years ago
- 4 frozen chicken breasts, boiled and re-frozen (see directions below) shopping list
- 1/3 cup minced dried onion shopping list
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley shopping list
- your favorite seasoning salt, to taste shopping list
- black pepper, to taste shopping list
- a large cast iron pot or Dutch oven shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine shopping list
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables (or 1 package) shopping list
- 1 to 2 large cans flaky refrigerator biscuits (like Pillsbury Grands) shopping list
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth (a couple of large cans) shopping list
How to make it
- Before your trip, take your frozen chicken breasts and boil them in water for 20 minutes - don't thaw them first. Drain them and re-freeze them in a Ziplock bag. When packing for the camping trip, put them in your cooler - they'll help keep things in there cold, too!
- (Cooking them while they're still frozen keeps the breasts remarkably juicy and tender! If you want more servings, you can easily add more breasts or tenders, up to 8-10.)
- Meanwhile, in a smaller Ziplock bag, combine the dried onion, parsley, seasoning salt, and black pepper. Pack it away in your camp kitchen, labelled for your "Chicken & Dumplings" dinner. :)
- Once you're ready to eat during your trip, get out your cast iron pot or Dutch oven and wipe the inside of it with the butter or margarine.
- Place the frozen/cooked chicken breasts on the bottom of the pot, then place the frozen vegetables on top of them.
- Pour the dried onion mixture from the Ziplock bag over the vegetables.
- Open the refrigerator biscuits and place them on top of the vegetables. If you like, you can cut up some of them to make smaller dumplings; it's up to you.
- Pour the chicken broth over all.
- Cover tightly and heat on the campfire or stove for at least 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the biscuits are as done as you like.
- Eat and enjoy! :)
- Note: you can make this at home, too, of course, by using fresh chicken breasts and the same other ingredients and cooking in your oven or stovetop until done.