Cheese Cake From Grandma Or Sernik BabciFrom lor 9 years ago
- Dough: shopping list
- 1-1/4 cups flour shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine shopping list
- 1 egg shopping list
- 3 Tbsp. sour cream shopping list
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar shopping list
- Filling: shopping list
- 6 eggs shopping list
- 2 cups confectioners sugar shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 lb. farmers cheese or ricotta shopping list
- 2/3 cup melted butter shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups mashed potatoes(do not add salt) shopping list
- Note: Save mashed potatoes from the night before. shopping list
- 2 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/4 cup grated orange or lemon peel shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter with a fork.
- Beat egg into the sour cream.
- Stir into the flour mixture then stir in the sugar.
- Knead the dough until well mixed and smooth.
- Roll dough on a floured surface into a rectangle.
- Line a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan with the dough and bring dough part the way up sides.
- Note: Women often reserve some of the dough or make extra and crisscross it or lattice work over the top.
- Separate 1 egg and reserve the whites, beat remaining yolk and whole eggs with the the sugar for 5 minutes at high speed using an electric mixer.
- Add vanilla and beat at high until the mixture is soft.
- The original recipe suggests that you press the cheese through a sieve. You can wrap it in cheesecloth and squeeze the moisture out of it but I prefer to place the cheese in a small sieve over a measuring cup and keep it overnight in the fridge. Blend cheese with butter, add the mashed potatoes, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt.
- Stir in orange peel.
- Fold into the egg mixture.
- Turn into prepared crust in pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45-55 min. or until set. Cool well before cutting.
People Who Like This Dish 13
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating5 people
This is fantastic.Specially the criss cross topping made with the dough.Great job.Bookmarked.ahmed1 in Cairo loved it
This is just AMAZING, lor!!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
needed to use up farmers cheese! Great recipemidgelet in Eastern loved it