Oven-smoked Tri-tipFrom annieamie 8 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- There is a layer of fat on the top of the tri-tip. I run a very sharp knife over that fat cutting lines across the fat then turn the roast and run the knife over the first lines, making "diamond" cuts across the top of the beef. Do not cut down into the beef if possible.
- Add all of the dry spices together in a bowl and mix.
- Sprinkle the entire roast with the dry seasonings, rubbing them well into the meat.
- Place the beef into a baking pan (I can fit 2 into a 13x9 pan)
- **Sprinkle the liquid smoke over the meat**
- Cover the pan completely with foil and place in oven for 60 minutes. (At 350 degrees!) .
- Remove foil and bake for 15 to 30 minutes, (depending on how rare you prefer your beef) and allow the top to brown.
- Baste your roast before placing back in oven.
- Remove beef, cover the pan with the foil and let the beef sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Slice against the grain and serve.
- *I must add that I always cook two of these at the same time. Two roasts fit a 13x9 pan perfectly.
- The leftover meat with some added BBQ sauce makes a wonderful sandwich! We chop up a few slices, add BBQ sauce to the meat, and heat it up, served on hamburger buns. Good stuff, Maynard!
- (Its great in tacos and burritos, too!)
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookannieamie Los Angeles, US
The Rating7 people
Great recipe, and this is just the way I cook the tri-tip roast when we don't grill! This is delicious! I also use Wright's Natural Hickory Seasoning. Thanks for sharing. :)rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
Oh...I've got to try this!!! I love smokey flavored meat!lilliancooks in Long Island loved it
Love Wright's, good stuff. Thanks annieamie!!!notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
Cookin Moms348 members
Comfort Foods773 members
Grilling BBQing238 members
Family Favourites134 members
I Can Because I Can106 members
Anything Goes288 members
Big Damn Chefs29 members
Dont Knock It Till You Try It74 members
Family Favorites141 members