Red Cabbage in Red WineFrom dancegypsy67 6 years ago
How to make it
- Slice, dice or shred the red cabbage (the smaller the pieces, the shorter the cooking time)
- Over medium-high heat, pre-heat a large skillet, add oil to cover the bottom of the skillet lightly, and add cabbage
- Stir cabbage to coat the pieces lightly with the oil
- If over a flame, remove the skillet from the burner and add approx 1/2 of the bottle of wine, stir
- Cover, reduce the heat to a medium simmer
- Stir occasionally, adding more wine as necessary to keep liquid in the skillet. After the first 15-30 minutes, sprinkle salt over the top, cover and continue cooking, 45 minutes or so if shredded, 1 hour to 90 minutes if sliced or diced, depending on the size. I've never had this dish become mushy like green cabbage if over-cooked, so it's easy to make ahead and reheat.