Stale chips crackers tortillas oreos culinary lifesaversFrom putercop 9 years ago
- Look in your pantry or snack cabinet for those STALE Doritos or cheez-its or cheetos or parmesan cheez-its or flavored croutons or ranch chips or ranch cheez-its or collision Doritos or salt and vinegar chips or blazing Doritos or bbq chips or plain tortilla chips or flavored tortilla chips or honey roasted chips or fritos or pretzels or garlic and onion chips or avocado chips and crackers or ginger snaps or oreos, and the list goes on. Don't look hard, they are right there in front of you. Go ahead pick them up, they won;t bite...yet. shopping list
How to make it
- Grab a bunch throw them on a sheet pan and toss in the oven at 450 Degrees F for 5-10 minutes to get the water out, the funky cabinet flaover out and the crisp back. Do not broil!
- Let them cool til crunchy again then crunch into fairly decent sized pieces larger than a crumb but smaller than a bread box. Make them big pieces especially the flavored crackers. The flavored crackers have a thin coating on them that you taste and the flavor is not inside..
- Use chips or tortillas as a thickener in soups and stews.
- Use salt and vinegar chips as breading on fish and toss on some herbs or dill in the process. This is good stuff. Love it on halibut and cod.
- Use black pepper chips (this is a new england thing) on red meats or as a filler in ground meats.
- Use Cheese flavored snacks as a breading on chicken with dill weed or tarragon or rosemary and thyme mixed in. Try stuffing it under the skin and on top. Cheese and anything is great.
- Jalapeno chips or crackers on chicken is great
- Use bbq chips as a breading on pork or mix with ground beef and onions in burgers or meatloaf or ground chicken or ground turkey
- Sprinkle pretzel pieces in stone ground mustard or deli mustard and use on hot dogs.
- Use pretzels in fact on any red meat or pork
- Get the idea?? Match the flavor with the meat or fish.
- Stuffed clams using garlic and onion chips is one of my favorites.
- ginger snaps on baked ham or pork is great
- And for the brave of heart so are the crushed oreos without the cream mixed with stone ground mustard. Just reheat the oreos and scrape them cream out first before putting in the oven.
- To test a small sample first before you indulge on a whole sized smoked ham, get a couple of slices of smoked deli ham and crumble oreos mix in a small amount of stone ground or dijon mustard and spread on the ham slices. Heat in the oven and munch on rye bread or sourdough.
- Go for the gusto!
People Who Like This Dish 10
- Good4U Perth, Canada
- poppagator Bay City, TX
- greekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
- sunny Portland, OR
- notyourmomma South St. Petersburg, FL
- zena824 Somewhere, USA, AR
- kukla Barrie, Ontario, CA
- sparow64 Sweetwater, TN
- iheartcooking Coral Springs
- fizzle3nat Waterville, WA
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookputercop Kerhonkson, NY
The Rating10 people
How ingenius!! NEVEr thought of thaT! Thanks for posting!sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it
Great post, Putercop! I've used stale chips as a breading and crackers in meatloaf before, but I've never thought to dry them out before using them, nor using some of the other stale cupboard staples to such extents! Have to try to Oreo cookies one.....morekukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it
You were very clever thinking.... Good for you....
A great idea..zena824 in Somewhere, USA loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!