Moroccan Lamb TagineFrom bobbie91302 6 years ago
- spice mix, combined in small bowl: shopping list
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- 2 tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 1½ tbsp paprika shopping list
- 1½ tbsp ground ginger shopping list
- 1 tbsp turmeric shopping list
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- 21/2 lbs. shoulder of lamb, trimmed and cut into 2in chunks shopping list
- 2 large onions, grated (or chopped fine) shopping list
- 2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 2 tbsp argan oil (Argan oil is a Moroccan oil from the argan tree, you should be able to find it in specialist food shops; if unavailable, use another oil) shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- 2 cups tomato juice (I used V8) shopping list
- 2 large cans chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 4oz dried apricots, cut in half shopping list
- 2 oz dates, cut in half shopping list
- 2 oz raisins shopping list
- 3 oz sliced almonds shopping list
- 1 tsp saffron threads, soaked in cold water shopping list
- 1 pint lamb stock (or vegetable stock) shopping list
- 1 tbsp honey shopping list
- 2 tbsp cilantro, roughly chopped shopping list
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped shopping list
How to make it
- Place the lamb in a large bowl and toss together with half of the spice mix. Cover and leave overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 300
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp of other oil in a large tagine or other casserole dish.
- Add the grated or chopped onion and the remaining spice mix and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes so that the onions are soft but not colored. Add the crushed garlic for the final 3 minutes.
- In a separate frying pan, heat the remaining oil and brown the cubes of lamb on all sides ,then add the browned meat to the casserole dish.
- De-glaze the frying pan with ½ cup of tomato juice and add these juices to the pan.
- Add the remaining tomato juice, chopped tomatoes, apricots, dates, raisins, almonds, saffron, lamb stock and honey to the casserole dish.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a fitted lid, place in the oven and cook for 2-2½ hours or until the meat is meltingly tender.
- Sprinkle the chopped herbs on top and serve.
The Cookbobbie91302 Calabasas, CA
The Rating4 people
This recipe looks absolutely and positively delicious!!! It's a "5" in my books. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.
Cheers!!!lor in Toronto loved it
Incredible!abermouse in Louisville loved it
This was so yummy and so easy. The perfect dish to keep you warm and sweet all winter long.ev in loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!