Calamares Fritas - Fried SquidFrom debra47 9 years ago
- vegetable oil, for deep frying shopping list
- 250g/9oz plain flour shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp smoked Spanish paprika (many supermarkets and delis sell smoked Spanish paprika. If you can't get hold of any, use the traditional paprika instead) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 500g/1lb squid, cut into 5mm/1/4 inch rings shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
How to make it
- If possible purchase squid that has already been cleaned.
- Here I can purchase it already cleaned and frozen.
- Cut the squid into 5 mm 1/4 inch rings.
- Set aside.
- Place enough oil in a wok, large saucepan or deep-fat fryer to come halfway up the pan.
- Place over a medium heat.
- If you're using a deep-fat fryer or have a thermometer, heat the oil to 180C/350F.
- While the oil is heating, mix the flour, cayenne, paprika and salt in a large bowl.
- Drop in the individual pieces of squid and coat thoroughly with the flour mixture.
- Dip the floured squid into the beaten egg and then carefully drop into the hot oil.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- You may have to do this in several batches.
- Remove from the oil and briefly drain on paper towels before serving with the garlic and lemon mayonnaise or your own marinara sauce.
- It depends on personal preferences regarding the use of garlic and lemon mayonnaise or the marinara sauce.
- I personally prefer the marinara sauce.
The Cookdebra47 Fylde, GB
The Rating4 people
This sounds really good I am going to make this tonight I am in the mood I will serve them with hot cherry peppers tossed together with some type of cheese on the side. Perhaps Gorgonzola if I have some on hand.trigger in loved it
I love calamares! It's popular in the Philippines! I'll definitely try this! (^_^)peteygurl in Pensacola loved it