LimoncelloFrom dancegypsy67 6 years ago
How to make it
- Rinse the lemons well. Using a sharp veggie peeler or paring knife, remove the zest in long ribbons avoiding as much of the pith as possible.
- Combine the vodka and lemon peel in a sealable containter. Seal.
- Put in a dark area. The length of time the steeping peels should sit varies depends on who you ask. I've heard as quick as a week and as long as 40 days. I have even left it as long as a year.
- Wikapedia says that using a 96 proof alcohol will remove more of the oils from the peel and will give you a stronger lemon flavor. I should try that.
- Make a simple sugar syrup. I knew the concept of a simple syrup, but not the recipe. My simple syrup is not very sweet. Adjust yours to taste. Cool.
- Strain the vodka. Combine the vodka and simple syrup in another sealable container.
- Put in a dark area. I'd let it sit at least a week. It becomes more mellow the longer it ages. Chill well before serving. I usually have a bottle in my freezer.
- In Italy, it's a digestive. It's certainly a nice way to end a meal!