Liver MushFrom saltymike 9 years ago
- 1 cup grits, harina or cornmeal shopping list
- 4 cups cold water shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- ¼-½ tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 2 lbs pork liver, sliced shopping list
- 4 eggs shopping list
- sage to taste shopping list
- salt and ground black pepper to taste shopping list
- ground cayenne pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Melt lard or shortening in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Season liver with salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Sauté liver in lard or shortening until done through.
- Remove liver from pan, drain and cool.
- Place cooked liver in food processor and finely grind.
- In a large sauce pan bring 4 cups water to a rapid boil.
- Add 1 tsp salt, ¼-½ tsp ground black pepper and grits/harina/cornmeal.
- Cook until grits/meal mush is very stiff.
- Add eggs, cayenne pepper and sage to taste and ground cooked liver and mix well.
- Re-season the mixture as necessary.
- Place the mixture in a small, greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes
People Who Like This Dish 13
The Cooksaltymike Naples, FL
The Rating2 people
I was just in search of a good Mush Recipe.
I'm originally an Ohioan and grew up eating Mush with Sausage Gravy over the top.
I defiantly will try this recipe out.:)
Thanks for posting this.:)sirshawnthebrewer in Akron loved it