Classic Russian Beef StroganoffFrom crainny 5 years ago
- 2 lbs beef tenderloin, sirloin, or shoulder meat shopping list
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced shopping list
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil shopping list
- 1/2 lbs portobello mushrooms (optional) shopping list
- 3 tbsp flour (use soy or gluten flour, if counting carbs) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1 tbsp dry or fresh parsley, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tbsp worcestershire sauce (optional) shopping list
- 1 cup sour cream shopping list
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Cut meat into 1/2 inch steaks, sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides, and beat with the tenderizing mallet until thin.
- Cut each steak into thin strips, like for a stir fry
- In a large thick-bottom skillet, heat the oil.
- Add meat and onions at the same time, and cook for about 7-8 minutes, stirring all the time. When you see meat and onion juices reduced in half, add mushrooms (optional), salt, black and lemon pepper, parsley, and Worcestershire sauce, if desired. Cook until juices are reduced to almost nothing, and onions start to brown - for about 7-8 more minutes.
- Add the flour, and stir it well, so that all the meat is evenly coated in it. Cook for 2-3 minutes. The meat should start sticking to the skillet.
- Reduce the heat to medium and keep stirring.
- Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water and stir well, scraping the bottom of the skillet
- When water starts boiling, reduce heat to low, cook for 2-3 minutes. Add sour cream. Mix well, and cook for another 5-10 minutes on low, constantly stirring. Add water if necessary.
- Finally, sprinkle parmesan cheese over the dish, and cover it. Let it simmer covered on low for another 2-3 minutes.
- Served best over mashed potatoes or noodles.
The Cookcrainny Prattville, AL
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!