Barley Stew With Lentils And Swiss ChardFrom inmaculada 7 years ago
- 1 tablespoon olive oil shopping list
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 large carrots, chopped shopping list
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin shopping list
- 10 cups (or more) low-salt chicken or vegetable broth shopping list
- 2/3 cup pearl barley shopping list
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice shopping list
- 2/3 cup dried lentils shopping list
- 4 cups (packed) coarsely chopped swiss chard (about 1/2 large bunch) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in heavy large nonreactive pot over medium-high heat. Add bacon, onions and carrots; sauté until onions are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Mix in cumin; stir 30 seconds. Add 10 cups broth and barley; bring to boil. Reduce heat; partially cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice and lentils; cover and simmer until barley and lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add chard to soup; cover and simmer until chard is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in dill. Season soup with salt and pepper. Thin with more broth, if desired.
- NOTE: Swiss chard can be substituted for fresh (or frozen) spinach leaves.
The Cookinmaculada Palma De Mallorca, ES
The Rating7 people
Thank you very much for such a wonderful recipe! We love lentils and barley, and this is so good and hearty. Love the addition of cumin. I will make this today.rosemaryblue in CollegeTown loved it
I'm making this tomorrow! awesome post thanks so much. I'm going to be using Kale and diced prosciutto, and that's the only change I'm probably going to make.
Marieinvisiblechef in loved it
Oh, Imma, I love barley -- AND lentils! The picture looks SO inviting....
I am trying to eat more chard & kale, and this is a perfect way to do it! Thank you so much for a wonderful recipe :)kukla in Barrie, Ontario loved it