Down Home Catfish StewFrom saltymike 5 years ago
- 4 slices bacon shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced shopping list
- 2 cups cut corn shopping list
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced shopping list
- 2 cans diced stewed tomatoes shopping list
- 1 can tomato paste shopping list
- ¼ tsp oregano shopping list
- ¼ tsp thyme shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- worcestershire sauce shopping list
- 1½ - 2 pounds catfish filet, cut into bite-size chunks shopping list
- hot sauce to taste shopping list
How to make it
- In large heavy stock pot, cook bacon until crisp, remove bacon, leaving dripping in pot.
- Add potatoes, corn, bell pepper, onion and garlic, and cook in drippings until onions are translucent and soft.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and approx. 4 cups of water. Crumble bacon into the mixture.
- Season the mixture with oregano, bay leaves, 2 or 3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring mixture to a slow boil and immediately lower the temperature and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add catfish and cook for 15 minutes more until catfish is done through.
- Add hot sauce and serve.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cooksaltymike Naples, FL
The Rating5 people
My family is South Carolina transplants from the north.I tried this for Christmas Eve for the celebrathons of the seven fishes. We all loved it. We live on Lake Murray with an abundant of great tasting catfish. Every one wanted the recipe. WONDERFUL....moregagagrits in Irmo loved it
Im from South Carolina and this stew is low country Ready!! I added about a half cup of sugar to my mines and had it with cornbread..OMG!!!!!!....Thanks from Manning SC!chrislemon in Manning loved it