Mikes Favorite Fried CatfishFrom saltymike 7 years ago
- 2 eggs shopping list
- ½ cup buttermilk shopping list
- 2 Tbsp hot sauce shopping list
- 1 cup corn meal shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 2 tsp dried granulated onion shopping list
- 2 Tbsp dried granulated garlic shopping list
- ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- ½ tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 4 lbs catfish filets shopping list
- oil for frying (corn oil or peanut oil works best) shopping list
How to make it
- Place oil in a deep fryer and heat to 365.
- Mix eggs, buttermilk, and hot sauce in a bowl and beat well to make an egg wash.
- Mix cornmeal, flour granulated onion, granulated garlic, Cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper in a small casserole dish.
- Cut catfish filets into strips approx. 1 inch thickness.
- Place catfish strips in egg wash mixture and soak for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove catfish strips from egg wash and drain briefly.
- Roll wet catfish strips in flower mixture. Allow catfish strips to sit in flour for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the catfish strips from flour, shake off excess flour and place into hot oil.
- Fry to a golden brown, turning often.
- Remove to drip pan or paper towels to drain grease.
- Season to taste and serve with tartar sauce, hushpuppies and slaw.
- It’s a good idea to ice down the beers before you start this recipe so they’re good and cold at serving time!
The Cooksaltymike Naples, FL
The Rating7 people
Hey saltymik, what time is dinner?! Be right there! Sounds delish, got my 5.kimmer in Dunedin loved it
Too funny, and a great post salty... thanks.wolfpackjack in Raleigh loved it
The buttermilk in the batter is what makes this so special...
....as well as...the 'beer' in the 'cook'...right ?
Thanks for the great recipe ! A " 5 "...!
....mjcmcook....mjcmcook in Beach City loved it