Josephine's Rice And Beans Puerto Rican StyleFrom chihuahua 7 years ago
- Beans: shopping list
- 1/4 C flavorful extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 2 C chopped onions shopping list
- 1 T minced garlic shopping list
- 1 Pound dried red kidney beans, rinsed and soaked shopping list
- 4 to 5 C Unsalted chicken broth shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 Piece (about 1 1/2 inches) cinnamon stick shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- hot pepper sauce to taste shopping list
- Rice: shopping list
- 3 T flavorful extra-virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 C chopped onion shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 C uncooked long-grain white rice shopping list
- 3 1/2 C water or half unsalted chicken broth and half water shopping list
- 2 t salt shopping list
- 1/2 C pared and finely Chopped carrot shopping list
- 1/2 C finely chopped celery shopping list
- 1/2 C diced (1/4 inch) Sweet red onion shopping list
- 1/2 C diced (1/4 inch) green bell pepper shopping list
How to make it
- To make the Beans:
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan. Add onions and saute, stirring, until coated with oil.
- Cover and cook over very low heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. About 15 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and saute uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Drain beans, then add them and the broth to the onion.
- Heat to boiling and cook covered over low heat for two hours.
- Add the bay leaves and cinnamon.
- Cover and continue to cook until beans are very tender, about 1 hour.
- Season with salt and hot red pepper sauce. (The beans can be prepared up to 24 hours before serving. Reheat, adding additional broth if necessary.)
- To prepare the Rice:
- Heat 1 T of oil in a large skillet.
- Add the carrot, celery and red onion. Saute, stirring until tender but not browned. About 5 minutes.
- Add green bell pepper and saute, stirring until crisp-tender. About 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Toss half of the sauteed vegetables with the cooked rice just before serving.
- Spread a mound of rice in shallow soup bowl plates and top with the beans.
- Garnish each with a spoonful of the remaining sauteed vegetables.
The Cookchihuahua Sonoma County, USA
The Rating9 people
A definite must try. Love rice and beans, this one sounds fantastic. Thanks for the great post.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Sounds wonderful, hearty and full of flavor. I've made several versions of rice and beans (which I love) over the years but I've never added the cinnamon stick which intrigues me. I am saving your delightful recipe to try soon. Thanks so much! =)lunasea in Orlando loved it
WOW - this looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. = )sunny in Portland loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!