Soda Jerk BeansFrom lunasea 6 years ago
- 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes cooked ham (any smoked sausage is good, can also use 2/3 lb. of cooked bacon, cut/torn in pieces) shopping list
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice, drained shopping list
- 1 15-ounce can pork and beans, rinsed, drained shopping list
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed, drained shopping list
- 1 15-ounce can butter beans, rinsed, drained (can use frozen) shopping list
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed, drained shopping list
- 1 large onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped (3/4 c. roasted red peppers are good here too) shopping list
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped shopping list
- 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar (NOTE: I used 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar and might even go a little lower than that) shopping list
- 1/2 cup cola-flavored soda (can use root beer) shopping list
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soda shopping list
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (I like 1 teaspoon garam masala and 1 teaspoon curry powder) shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (I use 2-3 garlic cloves, minced) shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Place all ingredients in heavy large pot. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until juices are thick, stirring gently and frequently to prevent burning, about 20 minutes.
- **NOTE: I cook mine over medium-low heat for about an hour. Just keep an eye on it, stir gently and adjust the heat as necessary. I have simmered the dish for up to 1 hour and 15 minutes and it was fine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Makes 10 cups.