German Chocolate CakeFrom michellem 8 years ago
- 1 pkg.(4oz.) Bakers Germans sweet chocolate bar shopping list
- 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 1 tsp baking soda shopping list
- 1/4 tsp salt shopping list
- 1 cup butter, softened shopping list
- 2 cups sugar shopping list
- 4 eggs separated shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- coconut-Pecan Frosting: shopping list
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups sugar shopping list
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks butter) shopping list
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla shopping list
- 1 pkg. ( 7oz.) coconut( about 2 2/3 cups) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans shopping list
How to make it
- Line bottoms of 3 ( 9inch) round pans with wax or parchment paper;grease sides of pans.
- Microwave chocolate and water in microwave on high for about 2 min until chocolate is melted. You will need to check and stir it a few times while in the microwave.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt;set aside
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Beat egg whites in another bowl with mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gently stir into batter.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350* for 30 min. or done.
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes.
- Remove cake layers from pan and remove wax paper.
- Cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and onto top of the cake.
- For frosting:
- Mix milk, sugar, butter, eggyolks and vanilla in large saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat for about 12 min.( I do this for about 15 min.) until golden brown and thickened. You have to stir the entire time.
- Remove from heat.
- Add coconut and pecans, mix well.
- Cool .
- Frost the cake!
People Who Like This Dish 23
The Cookmichellem Idaho, ID
The Rating11 people
I felt my hips expand as I salivated reading this recipe!!!borinda in SoCal loved it
One my top 3 favs... great post.wolfpackjack in Raleigh loved it
My favorite kind of cake! Can't wait to try it!vickycummins in Munster loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!