Monte Cristo SandwichesFrom shandy 8 years ago
- 4 large eggs shopping list
- 1/4 c. heavy cream shopping list
- 2 t. sugar shopping list
- 1/2 t. salt shopping list
- 1/2 t. dry mustard shopping list
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper shopping list
- 6 T. strawberry or raspberry jam (seedless) shopping list
- 2 T. Dijon mustard shopping list
- 12 slices hearty white sandwich bread, lightly toasted shopping list
- 18 thin slices deli Swiss or gruyere cheese shopping list
- 12 thin slices deli ham, preferably Black Forest shopping list
- 12 thin slices deli turkey shopping list
- 3 T. vegetable oil shopping list
- Confectioners sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees F. Whisk eggs, cream, sugar, salt, dry mustard, and cayenne in shallow dish until combined. Stir jam and Dijon mustard together in small bowl.
- Spread 1 teaspoon jam mixture on one side of each slice of toast. Layer slices of cheese, ham, and turkey on 6 slices of toast. Repeat with second layer of cheese, ham, and turkey. Add final layer of cheese and top with remaining toast, with jam side facing cheese. Using hands, lightly press down on sandwiches.
- Pour oil onto rimmed baking sheet (jelly roll pan) and heat in oven until just smoking, about 7 minutes. Meanwhile, using 2 hands, coat each sandwich with egg mixture and transfer to large plate. Transfer sandwiches to preheated baking sheet and bake until golden brown on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes per side, using spatula to flip. Serve immediately with remaining jam mixture and sprinkling with confectioners' sugar.
People Who Like This Dish 24
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
The Rating9 people
Super post...thanks!juliecake in Bluffdale loved it
I love Monte Cristo Sandwichs. Thanks for the recipe.pelo2000 in Courtenay loved it
I've had this a couple of times in a restaurant, and felt terribly guilty both times! It's soooo fattening you can actually FEEL the grams of fat going everywhere you don't want them to go!
BUT...it's one of those rare, once in a...morepinkpasta in Upstate loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!