Shawn Boys Johnny CakesFrom saltymike 9 years ago
- 1 cup boiling water shopping list
- 1 cup corn meal shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 1 cup plain flour shopping list
- 3 tsp baking powder shopping list
- 1 tsp salt shopping list
- ¼ tsp soda shopping list
- 2 eggs, beaten shopping list
- 4 Tbsp bacon drippings shopping list
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon shopping list
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg shopping list
How to make it
- Mix boiling water and corn meal to make a thick dough.
- Mix buttermilk and eggs thoroughly. Add milk/egg mixture to cornmeal dough and blend thoroughly.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to the dry ingredients and mix well. Add to cornmeal mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Stir in bacon drippings. (Note: If batter is a little thick or “stiff,” add a little hot water and mix well to desired consistency.)
- Heat griddle to 375 and grease lightly.
- Ladle batter to make cakes approx. 4 inches diameter.
- Serve with softened butter and sorgum molasses or a good cane or maple syrup.
- (Note: Blackstrap molasses and sulphured molasses will spoil the flavor of Johnny Cakes
The Cooksaltymike Naples, FL
The Rating5 people
Love these. Great post and good to see you saltymike!kimmer in Dunedin loved it
Ain't nothin' like Southern cookin'!!!!!!!!!gingerlea in Tampa loved it
It's been a long time since I've had these... got my 5shirleyoma in Cove loved it