Shrimp and Green Chile EnchiladasFrom coffeebean53 5 years ago
- 2 cups chicken broth shopping list
- 12-15 large shrimp, peeled & devieined shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons butter or margarine shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 garlic clove, minced shopping list
- 1½ cups sliced mushrooms (8-10 small caps) shopping list
- 2 Tablespoons flour shopping list
- ½ teaspoon salt shopping list
- Pinch of black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup canned or homemade green chili sauce shopping list
- 1 cup diced green chilies shopping list
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or a mixture of jack and cheddar shopping list
- 10-12 corn tortillas shopping list
- oil for frying tortillas, if desired shopping list
- Chopped tomato for garnish shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and oil a medium sized casserole dish. Bring the chicken broth to a simmer in a saucepan. Cut the shrimp into bite-sized pieces and cook in the broth for 3-4 minutes or until pink. Remove the shrimp to a bowl and save the broth. Cook the onion, garlic and mushrooms in the butter until soft (about 10 minutes.) Add the flour and stir well. Add 1 cup of the saved chicken broth and simmer until thickened. Stir in the shrimp, salt and pepper.
- Using a hand blender or food processor, blend the green chili sauce, chopped chilies and remaining 1 cup of saved chicken broth. Heat the sauce in a small skillet and keep warm.
- Steam the corn tortillas a few at a time in the microwave. Put them in a plastic food bag and heat for 10-15 seconds. Or until just softened. Or fry tortillas in hot oil just until softened and drain on paper towels.
- Dip each tortilla into the green chili sauce, fill with about ¼ c. of the shrimp and mushroom mixture. Roll and place seam side down in a lightly oiled casserole. When all the tortillas have been rolled, pour the remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 25 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and serve. The usual accompaniments for enchiladas to be served with these (refried beans, fresh salsa, guacamole... Makes 4-5 servings
People Who Like This Dish 11
The Cookcoffeebean53 Charlotte, NC
The Rating6 people
Great recipe! Thanks, this one is bookmarked! My daughter is not crazy about mushrooms, but she'll never even notice hidden is these enchiladas!
I cooked this last night and added a pic (hope you don't mind). I just made 3 enchiladas w/ wh...moreturlak in Spring loved it
Another great recipe.:)
I've been on such a Mexican kick the last few weeks.
I was up late last night breaking up dried chili's.:)
I'm working on a Chicken Burrito recipe.
Shawnsirshawnthebrewer in Akron loved it
How did I miss this! Sounds wonderful!chihuahua in Sonoma County loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!