SauerbratenFrom greekgirrrl 6 years ago
- 4 lb beef Rump Or sirloin Tip shopping list
- 1 1/2 c vinegar shopping list
- 1 c dry red wine shopping list
- 3/4 c water shopping list
- 3 medium onions, sliced shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, sliced shopping list
- 2 carrots, sliced shopping list
- 10 whole peppercorns shopping list
- 10 whole cloves shopping list
- 3 bay leaves shopping list
- 2 tablespoons sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- flour shopping list
- 3 tablespoons oil shopping list
- Gravy: shopping list
- 3 c drippings plus strained marinade shopping list
- 5 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 5 tablespoons ginger snap crumbs shopping list
How to make it
- Place meat in a large plastic bag.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine vinegar, wine, water, onions, celery, carrots, pepper, cloves, bay leaves, sugar and salt; pour over meat.
- Fasten bag tightly and lay flat in a 9" X 13" pan.
- Refrigerate 2-3 days, turning bag each day. (If you like sour sauerbraten, let marinate for 4 days.)
- When ready to cook, remove meat (saving marinade) and dry well. Rub the surface lightly with flour.
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil and slowly brown the meat well on all sides.
- Add 1 cup of the marinade liquid plus some of the vegetables and bay leaves.
- Cover tightly and simmer on surface heat or in a preheated 350° F oven for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is fork tender.
- If needed, add more marinade during the cooking time to keep at least 1/2 inch liquid in the Dutch oven.
- Remove the meat and keep warm until ready to slice.
- Into a large measuring cup, strain the drippings.
- Add several ice cubes and let stand for a few minutes until the fat separates out.
- Remove the fat, then make the gravy.
- TO MAKE THE GRAVY:
- In the Dutch oven, combine the gravy ingredients, stir and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat until gravy has thickened.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust if necessary.
- This makes about 3 cups of gravy.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The Cookgreekgirrrl Huntington Village, NY
The Rating2 people
wow maybe I like greek food this sounds deelicous very interesting thanks buddymomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it