Outrageous Orange Custard PieFrom divaliscious 9 years ago
- 1 Unbaked and thoroughly chilled pastry shell shopping list
- 2 eggs separated (separate when cold, its easier) then let come to room temperature. shopping list
- 1 egg whole shopping list
- 1 cup white sugar shopping list
- 4 tablespoons sugar for meringue (goes with 2 egg whites you saved) shopping list
- 1-2/3 cups evaporated milk (14.5 oz can) shopping list
- 1-1/3 cup orange juice (with pulp is best) shopping list
- 3 teaspoons grated orange zest shopping list
- 1 teaspoon pure orange extract (optional but oh so good if you got it) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and have shelf placed on the lower level in the oven.
- Separate two (2) of the eggs - beat egg yolks and 1 whole egg well in mixer.
- Add sugar and blend well.
- Add evaporated milk, orange juice, orange zest and pure orange extract. Mix once more.
- Pour into pastry shell and bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until custard is firm and knife comes out clean.
- Cool pie slightly.
- While pie is cooling, beat 2 egg whites and 4 tablespoons sugar to make meringue - top pie with meringue and bake in moderate oven (325 degrees) for 15 minutes or until lightly browned....
- Once cooled, sprinkle shaved chocolate for a decadent look.
- Enjoy Outrageous Orange Custard Pie.