5 Star Macaroni and CheeseFrom jaie 9 years ago
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, plus more for dish (At room temperature) shopping list
- 3 cups good crusty bread cut into ¼-½-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 quart half-and-half (At room temperature) shopping list
- 1 cup whole milk shopping list
- ½ cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- ½ teaspoon ground or whole red pepper flakes, to taste shopping list
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or ½ teaspoon dried shopping list
- 2 cups White Extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded shopping list
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded shopping list
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded shopping list
- 1-¼ cups romano cheese, shredded shopping list
- 1 pound large macaroni with grooves shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Butter and set aside a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Place bread in a medium bowl.
- In the microwave, melt 4 tablespoons of butter and ½ teaspoon garlic powder.
- Pour melted butter mixture into the the bowl with the bread.
- Toss and set aside.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a LARGE sauce pan over medium heat.
- When butter melts, add flour.
- Cook, whisking, for 1 minute.
- While whisking, slowly pout in milk and and 1-½ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon red pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and nutmeg.
- Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir in 2 cups of Sharp Sheddar, 1 cup White Extra Sharp Cheddar, 1 cup Swiss and 1 cup Romano.
- Set cheese sauce aside.
- Blend the remaining cheeses together.
- Fill a large sauce pan with water and bring to a boil.
- Add macaroni; cook 2 minutes less than directions, until the outside is cooked and the inside is slightly undercooked.
- Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold water and DRAIN WELL.
- Put into a large mixing bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir the cheese sauce into the macaroni.
- Pour mixture into buttered 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup White Extra Sharp Cheddar, ½ cup Swiss and ¼ cup Romano.
- Add bread crumbs over top.
- Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a salad for a complete meal!
The Cookjaie Allentown, PA
The Rating4 people
I added broccoli floweretes and some chopped ham before going into the oven, Great recipe!!!mrcooksalot in Denver loved it
5 stars - at least! This is great!sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!