Good Mussel ChowderFrom pink 9 years ago
- 5 pounds mussels in shells shopping list
- 1 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 1 pound thin-skinned potatoes shopping list
- 1 onion (1/2 pound) shopping list
- 1 stalk celery (3 oz.) shopping list
- ½ yellow or red pepper shopping list
- 3 Tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, mild shopping list
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil shopping list
- 1 can tomato sauce (28 oz.) shopping list
- 2 cups whipping cream shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Scrub mussels in cool water and remove the bissus threads or beards; discard any whose shells don’t close when tapped. In an 8- to 10-quart pan, combine mussels and wine; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over medium heat until mussels open, 5 to 8 minutes. Pour into a colander set in a large bowl to collect broth. Let mussels stand until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut potatoes into ½-inch cubes. Peel and chop onion. Rinse celery and dice into ¼-inch pieces. Wash and seed yellow pepper and dice.
- In the pan used for mussels, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery; stir often until onion is limp, 6 to 8 minutes. Add curry powder, cayenne pepper and basil; stir until spices become more fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour mussel juices from bowl into pan. Add tomato sauce, cream, and potatoes. Turn heat to high; when mixture is boiling, cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors are well blended, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove mussels from shells; discard shells.
- Add mussels to chowder; cover and simmer just until mussels are hot, 3 to 5 minutes. Do not overcook. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls.
People Who Like This Dish 10
The Cookpink USA
The Rating6 people
Great post! I absolutely LOVE mussels!clbacon in Birmingham loved it
It's a good thing there's a Mr. Pink, otherwise I'd have to come a callin when ur serving this... great post... ty so much... hope ur feeling better...davewolfpackjack in Raleigh loved it
Great recipe Pink!noir in Boston loved it