Lattice-top Blackberry PieFrom lunasea 8 years ago
- For Pastry Dough: shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes shopping list
- 1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 4 to 6 tablespoons ice water shopping list
- ~~~~ shopping list
- For Pie: shopping list
- 6 cups blackberries (1 3/4 lb) shopping list
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup cornstarch shopping list
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted shopping list
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons water shopping list
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca shopping list
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten shopping list
- 1 tablespoon sanding (coarse) or granulated sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Make Pastry Dough:
- Blend together flour, butter, shortening, and salt in a bowl with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) until most of mixture resembles coarse meal with rest in small (roughly pea-size) lumps.
- Drizzle 4 tablespoons ice water evenly over and gently stir with a fork (or pulse in processor) until incorporated.
- Gently squeeze a small handful: It should hold together without crumbling apart. If it doesn't, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring (or pulsing) after each addition until incorporated, continuing to test. (Careful - do not overwork dough or it will become tough.)
- Turn dough out onto a work surface and divide into 2 portions.
- With heel of your hand, smear each portion once in a forward motion to help distribute fat.
- Gather each portion of dough and form it, rotating on a work surface, into a disk.
- Wrap disks separately in wax paper and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- NOTE: Dough can be chilled, wrapped in plastic wrap, up to 1 day.
- Place a baking sheet in lower third of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Make Pie Filling:
- Toss together berries, granulated sugar to taste, cornstarch, butter, lemon juice, water, and tapioca. Let stand, tossing occasionally, 20 minutes.
- Put Pie Together:
- Roll out 1 piece of dough into a 14-inch round and fit into a 9-inch pie plate (4-cup capacity).
- Trim edge, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang. Chill shell while rolling out top.
- Roll out remaining piece of dough into a roughly 16- by 11-inch rectangle. Cut crosswise into 11 (1 1/4-inch-wide) strips with a fluted pastry wheel or a knife.
- Stir berry mixture, then spoon evenly into shell.
- Arrange strips in a tight lattice pattern on top of filling and trim strips close to edge of pan. Roll up and crimp edge.
- Brush top and edge with egg white and sprinkle all over with sugar.
- Bake on hot baking sheet (covered with foil for easier cleanup) until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- (**Check pie after 45 minutes: If edge of crust is browning too quickly, cover edge with foil or a pie crust shield and continue baking.)
- Cool completely on a rack before serving.
The Cooklunasea Orlando, FL
The Rating12 people
Love berry pies and this is a winner!!! got my 5shirleyoma in Cove loved it
Mmm sounds tempting.chriesi in Zuerich loved it
Definitely has my 5-looks incredible!!!hoosiermom68 in Merrillville loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!