Blackened ChickenFrom vino4dino 8 years ago
- 16 3 oz skinless chicken breast shopping list
- 2 Tbsp salt shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp white pepper shopping list
- 1 tsp onion powder shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cumin shopping list
- 1/2 tsp gound cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika shopping list
- 3/4 lb melted unsalted butter shopping list
How to make it
- Trim off excess fat. Pound each breast or leg-thigh fillet to 1/2
- inch thick. Let the chicken come to room temperature before
- Thoroughly combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over very high heat until it is
- extremely hot and just short of the point at which you see white
- ash or a white spot forming in the skillet bottom, about 8 minutes.
- (the time will vary according to the intensity of the heat source.)
- Heat the serving plates in a 250F oven.
- Just before cooking each piece of chicken, dip it in the melted
- butter so that both sides are well coated, then sprinkle each fillet
- evenly with the seasoning mix, using about a rounded 1/2 teaspoon
- on each, and patting it in with your hands. (If you lay the fillet
- on a plate or other surface to season it, be sure the surface is
- warm so the butter won't congeal and stick to the surface instead
- of to the meat. Wipe the surface clean after seasoning each fillet.
- Use any remaining seasoning mix in another recipe. Immediately
- place the fillet skinned side down in the hot skillet, making sure
- all meat folds are opened up and the meat is lying flat. Pour
- about 1 teaspoon butter on the top of the fillet (be careful, as
- the butter may flame up). If you cook more that 1 fillet at a
- time, place each fillet in the skillet before buttering and seasoning
- another one.
- Cook uncovered over the same high heat until the underside forms
- a crust, about 2 minutes. (The time will vary according to the
- thickness of the fillets and the heat of the skillet or fire;
- watch the meat and you'll see a white line coming up the side as
- it cooks.) Turn the fillets over and pour about 1 teaspoon more
- melted butter on top of each. Cook just until meat is cooked
- through, about 2 minutes more.
- Serve the chicken fillets crustier side up while piping hot. Clean
- the skillet after cooking each batch and repeat the blackening
- procedure with the remaining chicken fillets. To serve, place 2
- breast fillets or 1 leg-thigh fillet on each heated serving plate.
- If you use a large serving platter, do not stack the fillets.
People Who Like This Dish 7
The Cookvino4dino Baltimore, MD
The Rating3 people
- Not added to any groups yet!