Vegetarian Potato PieFrom chefmeow 10 years ago
- 12 ounces plan flour shopping list
- 6 ounces butter shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 3 tablespoons water shopping list
- 2 pounds waxy potatoes shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 4 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley shopping list
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chervil shopping list
- 6 ounces shallots finely chopped shopping list
- 4 ounces double cream shopping list
How to make it
- Lightly whisk one egg and 3 tablespoons of water together in a small bowl.
- Place the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the whisked egg mixture to the flour and butter mixture and mix with a knife to form a dough adding more water if necessary.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Meanwhile peel the potatoes and boil in salted water for 7 minutes.
- Drain and when cool enough to handle cut into thin slices.
- Line pie tin with two third of the pastry and arrange a third of the potato slices in the bottom.
- Season with salt and pepper then sprinkle half the herbs and shallots over the top.
- Arrange another third of the potato slices on top of the herbs, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the remainder of the herbs then top with the last third of the potato slices.
- Beat remaining egg and use to brush the edges of the pastry in the pan.
- Roll out the remaining pastry and cover the top of the pie.
- Press edges firmly together and trim off any excess pastry.
- Brush the top of the pie with the egg yolk mixture.
- Make four small cuts in the top of the pastry evenly spaced apart to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 25 minutes then reduce temperature to 350 and bake 20 minutes longer.
- Remove pie from the oven and open the steam vents wide enough to pour one quarter of the cream into each vent.
- Return to the oven and continue to cook 15 minutes longer.
- Serve immediately.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
- Not added to any groups yet!