Chickpea Soup with Mediterranean SpicesFrom c2max 6 years ago
- 2 TB extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish shopping list
- 1 large onion, medium diced shopping list
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, pressed shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1 heaping teaspoon sweet paprika shopping list
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 3 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well shopping list
- 1 quart (32 oz.) vegetable broth or chicken broth shopping list
- kosher salt shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 bag (5 oz.) pre-washed baby spinach shopping list
- **You can add a few other vegetables like carrots, squash, etc... if you wish shopping list
How to make it
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onions begin to turn translucent. Add spices and sauté a minute or so. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, broth, and sugar. Season with salt and grinds fresh pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Note: Chickpeas should be just covered with liquid. If level is shy, add some water so the chickpeas are just covered.
- Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to low and gently simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat. If you wish, use a potato masher to mash up some of the chickpeas in the pot.
- Stir in the spinach and let heat through until wilted, just a couple minutes.
- Taste to adjust salt/pepper seasoning if necessary.
- Serve soup, drizzled lightly with extra-virgin olive oil and with warmed flat bread or toasted pita triangles.
The Cookc2max Naperville, IL
The Rating7 people
This soup looks terrific, C2max! It's definitely on my healthy soup/stew list now. Thanks for posting it.misslizzi in Philadelphia loved it
Great recipe Colleen and thank you for sharing it with all of us. My family and I love beans, peas and lentils and this recipe is most definitely a keeper!
Cheers!!!lor in Toronto loved it
Another great recipe that I must try. Thanks so much for offering us such good eats!lunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!