Country Ham and Red Eyed Gravy with GritsFrom silverqueen 5 years ago
- 1 3 lb. country ham, store brought (sliced) shopping list
- 1/2 cup strong coffee shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. butter shopping list
- 1 beef bouillon cube shopping list
- GRITS: shopping list
- 2 cups water shopping list
- 1-1/4 cups milk shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 cup quick cooking grits, not instant, (like Quaker) shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
How to make it
- COUNTRY HAM AND RED EYED GRAVE:
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add the fat from the ham and render.
- When fat is rendered, add the ham stakes and pan fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove ham from the pan and set aside on a plate and keep warm.
- to the pan add coffee and water and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add butter and the bouillon cube ans stir until blended.
- Serve the gravy over the ham and grits.
- In a small pot bring water, milk and salt to a boil.
- Slowly stir grits into boiling mixture.
- Stir continuously and throughly until grits are well mixed.
- Let the pot return to a boil, cover with a lid lower the temperature and cook for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add more water if necessary.
- Grits are done when they have the consistency of smooth cream of wheat.
- Stir in half the butter ans serve with remaining butter divided equally on top of each portion, or serve with fruit or with a savory meal.
The Cooksilverqueen Albany, GA
The Rating4 people
Good county eating here. We make our redeye the old way, tho. Sounds great!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
Yeah baby!jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
Oh my!!! Comfort food at it's very best! Thanks for sharing.meals4abby in Valders loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!