Bacon Wrapped Eggs With PolentaFrom bakermel 6 years ago
- polenta shopping list
- ~~~~~~~~ shopping list
- 2 Tbs. (1/4 stick) butter or margarine (or Smart Balance Light-I use this) shopping list
- 1/4 c. minced green onions (I left this out) shopping list
- 3 c. water shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1 c. polenta (coarse cornmeal) shopping list
- 1/2 c. (packed) grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh thyme (optional) shopping list
- Baked eggs shopping list
- ~~~~~~~~~~~~ shopping list
- 20 thick slices applewood-smoked bacon shopping list
- 6 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated shopping list
- 6 oz. gruyere cheese (I used Monterey Jack instead), grated shopping list
- 8 lg. eggs shopping list
- 1/4 c. thinly sliced green onions (I left this out) shopping list
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme (I substituted fresh parsley, on top of eggs for garnish after they were done) shopping list
How to make it
- For Polenta:
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add green onions and stir until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Add 3 c. water and a pinch of salt: bring to a boil.
- Gradually whisk in polenta.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally, about 13 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and thyme.
- Season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate; polenta will become firm.)
- For Baked Eggs:
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Add bacon; fry until beginning to brown but still pliable, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Cool slightly.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon drippings for spring greens with sherry vinaigrette (if you want to place the baked eggs on top to serve).
- Line sides of eight 1 1/4-cup custard cups with 2 slices of bacon each, forming a collar around sides of cups.
- Place 1/2 slice of bacon on bottom of each cup.
- Divide polenta among cups, about a generous 1/3 c. each.
- Press polenta over bottom and up sides of bacon.
- Mix cheeses in bowl.
- Sprinkle 1/4 c. cheese mixture over polenta in each cup.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Crack 1 egg into the center of each custard cup.
- Sprinkle eggs with remaining cheese, green onions, thyme and black pepper.
- Transfer cups to rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until egg whites are almost set, about 20 minutes.
- Let eggs stand at room temperature 5 minutes (eggs will continue to cook).
- Run a small sharp knife around edge of cups; tilt cups and slide bacon, polenta and egg onto plates and serve.
- Enjoy! :)
The Cookbakermel Topeka, KS
The Rating4 people
Wonderful. My mouth is watering.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
A must have for an impressive bruch!!greekgirrrl in Huntington Village loved it
Melinda, hon - this is one great recipe! I love everything about it and that presentation is stunning. Wonderful...wonderful....and I cannot wait to try it. I will look like a rock star thanks to you. Thank you!!
~Vickielunasea in Orlando loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!