Ethiopian Alicha WotFrom jo_jo_ba 7 years ago
- 1 1/2 cups yellow split peas, rinsed and sorted shopping list
- 4 1/2 cups water shopping list
- 2 cups diced onion shopping list
- 1/4 cup water shopping list
- 8 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger shopping list
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste shopping list
- 2 tablespoons turmeric shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp sea salt shopping list
- 1/2 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup water shopping list
- Additional salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Place split peas in a medium pot, and add water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, 30 minutes. There will still be some liquid in the pot.
- In another large heavy pot, sweat the onion in about 1/4 cup water until very translucent.
- Add garlic, ginger and tomato paste and saute two minutes.
- Stir in spices, salt, pepper and remaining water and cook 5 minutes longer, stirring.
- Add the cooked split peas and enough of the cooking liquid to form a thick, gravy-like sauce.
- Cook until everything is well combined and hot. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve over brown rice, couscous or with naan, injera or pita, if desired.
The Cookjo_jo_ba Oshawa, CA
Health Food Junkies423 members
On A Budget559 members
Foodies That Follow WWs48 members
Comfort Foods771 members
Gluten Free No Wheat240 members
Eat Light Healthy455 members
Weight Watchers282 members
Cooking For Food Allergies45 members
Cooking Is Fun65 members