Grilled Brats and Circus OnionsFrom chefmeow 5 years ago
- 1 large onion thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 large green bell pepper thinly sliced shopping list
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves crushed shopping list
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seed shopping list
- 1/2 cup beer shopping list
- 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 6 bratwurst or knockwurst shopping list
- 6 hot dog buns shopping list
- grainy mustard shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare a hot fire in a covered charcoal or gas grill.
- While coals heat in a large frying pan cook onion and pepper in oil over medium heat 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and caraway seed then cook until onions are golden about 2 minutes.
- Add beer and cook until liquid is reduced in volume by about half then season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Split bratwurst lengthwise but do not cut all the way through.
- Grill until nicely browned on both sides about 8 minutes.
- During the last 2 minutes of cooking set buns cut sides down at the edge of grill to toast lightly.
- To serve spread cut sides of buns with mustard then add a bratwurst.
- Spoon on the pepper and onion mixture.