Homemade Chicken Pot Pie ala LeahFrom divaliscious 9 years ago
- 1 onion diced shopping list
- 2 carrots, diced shopping list
- 2 celery stalks diced shopping list
- 1 cup peas (frozen - and slightly thawed) shopping list
- 4 tablespoons flour shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 2 to 3 cups cooked chicken up into bite-sized chunks shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock - or for a creamier sauce - use 1 cup milk and 1 cup stock shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon each of celery and/or onion salt (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven 400 degrees
- In skillet, sautee diced onions, carrots, and celery for 8 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add flour and stir until blended.
- Slowly add stock/milk liquid and over low heat, stir until thickened.
- Add salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Add celery salt or onion salt if you would like along with a shake of dried red chili peppers.
- In casserole dish add cut up chicken and peas - and stir till combined. Add sauce and stir once more till combined.
- Top with rich biscuit topping (recipe above) or pie pastry - make sure to make 'slits' in pie pastry to allow steam to escape. If using the rich biscuit topping, you can have it not cover the casserole completely leaving some space on the sides (which is what I did) so that the steam can escape out the sides of your casserole (see photos).
- Place your casserole into oven, and let bake for 30 minutes on the middle rack of your oven.
- Put large cookie sheet or tin foil on rack below, to prevent any scorching on your oven floor from any boiled over drippings of your sauce - makes cleaning up a cinch!
- Serve your chicken pot pie and enjoy with a fresh salad.
People Who Like This Dish 5
The Cookdivaliscious Dutchess County, NY
The Rating5 people
Yummy. I love homemade comfort food and this one looks and sounds fantastic. Getting a 5 here. Great post.chefmeow in Garland loved it
Yum. Looks good even in the morning. Thanks Diva.jenniferbyrdez in kenner loved it
Sounds YUMMY and now I know what I'm doing with my leftover chicken - Thanks!sunpuppy in Terre Haute loved it