Southern Cat Head BiscuitsFrom chefjeb 6 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425
- Mix dry ingredients in large mixing bowl
- work in shortening witha pastry blender until you have a fine, irregular mixture of small crumbs.
- Add mik all at once and stir with fork until dough comes together.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and GENTLY knead dough no more than 12 or 14 times. This is the critical step. If you overknead you will develop the flour gluten and have tough biscuits.
- Pat dough lightly until it is slightly more than 1/2 inch thick
- At this point you can use a sharp knife and cut into squares or other shapes or use a 2 inch round cutter or empty can. If using round cutter, press scraps together and form a couple of extra biscuits.
- Place at least one inch apart on ungreased baking or cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until puffy and browned.
The Cookchefjeb Carthage, MS
The Rating11 people
These are biscuits like my momma used to make.ramlynrose in Pearl loved it
Your hints on how to handle biscuit dough are priceless. Thank you very much. I will indeed pretend that the dough is HOT HOT HOT and be gentle. Quite the opposite of my french bread baquette kneading, where I work out all my frustrations of the d...morenotyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
Southern comfort cathead biscuts a true family recipe . make them love htem Yeah Yeah Yeah.momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it