Simple Red Onion SoupFrom pink 5 years ago
- 1 large Spanish red onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 pound Spanish red onions, quartered and finely sliced shopping list
- Large can of tomatoes shopping list
- 4 tbsp spanish olive oil shopping list
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1 bouquet garni bag (or make one with a bayleaf, some sprigs of thyme and a piece of orange peel) shopping list
- 300 ml (½ pint) Spanish red wine shopping list
- 1 ltr (2 pints) vegetable stock shopping list
- salt and freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- In a big heavy-based pot, fry the chopped onion gently for 10-15 minutes, until light golden. Stir in the sliced onion well and cook on a low heat for about 20 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Meanwhile, strain the tomatoes (removing the seeds, if desired). Chop the tomatoes. Keep 250 ml (½ pint) of the juice.
- Now stir the garlic into the onions and let this cook for 2-3 minutes. Now add the bouquet garni, tomatoes and juice. Mix in the red wine and bring to the boil. Keep the soup bubbling until about half of liquid has evaporated.
- Now pour in the vegetable stock, half cover and allow to simmer gently for about half an hour. Now remove the bouquet garni and check seasoning.
- Crispy croutons and a drizzle of good quality olive oil are a perfect accompaniment to this soup.
The Cookpink USA
The Rating8 people
Oooh....yummy! Have to hide it from one particular grandkid!pat2me in Nashua loved it
Sounds dilish. Will have to give it a go. I hate to waste wine so I'll have to have some from the opened bottle while I cook. Thanks for sharing.....Bobrobertg in loved it
Pink this really sounds wonderful with the tomatoes added in! :)noir in Boston loved it